Thursday 20 September 2018

What Blooming Flower Is It? 2018 Part 7

What Blooming Flower Is It? 2018 Part 7 

I have finally finished the embroidery part of the project – I hope. Therefore I have to sort out the embellishments.

Finding the Edging









I cannot count the amount of Edgings we (Laura and I) went through to try and find the best way to decorate the Bottom of the garment.

Since there were different coloured Flowers we had many colours and shades to choose from. In the end we decided that since the one thing all four Corners had in common were the Leaves we should edge it in Green.

This was easier said than done but we finally found a shade and type of edging that we both liked. As you can see in the photograph the Tassel Fringe has more than one colour in its make up.

Neckline Mistake
 





Finding the right colour for the Neckline was not quite as difficult as we now had an idea what colour we should be looking for.

The only slight snag is when it was done I found that I had cut the Neckline a little too snuggly. Although I could get it on it was a little tight getting over my head and I certainly couldn’t do it without knocking my glasses off.

Laura bless her little cotton socks was kind enough to cut and resew the Neckline for me.

Blue Blooming Flower
















The lighting in my flat isn’t very good so I decided to take it outside and hang it on the line. This way you can see it as if it was being worn.

Purple Blooming Flower
















Here is the view of Purple side. I have to say I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. We are still debating whether or not to add anything else to the Neckline. However if we do it will be next year as the weather has now taken a turn for the cooler.

Garment Care











One subject I haven’t really touched on is what to do after I have finished my Blooming Flower Poncho. Needless to say with all that time with parts on the floor and oil from fingers it needs washing.

I generally hand wash items I have made. This is because firstly I want to make sure any colour doesn’t run and secondly in case some of my stitching is a bit loose in places. The last thing I want is it unravelling in the washing machine.

Therefore I use medium hot water with detergent to wash and rinse. I then squeeze out as much water as I can then give it a good flap around to help eliminate some of the creases.

I generally iron when items are wet. In the case of Linen I think this is a must as it can be very difficult to get the creases out. Now usually with any kind of decoration e.g. transfers or sequins you iron on the Back. I however due to the stitching being hand sewn have ironed on the Front.

Doing it this way I avoid snagging on any of the threads. I can also gently stretch out the material as ironing it. Then when still damp I hang it up to air dry. It doesn’t have to be done this way but I prefer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment